Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why Am I Doing This?

The Breast Cancer 3-Day. 60 miles over 3 days in September 2009. Why would I do this? This is not something I would ordinarily do.....this is such a stretch for me!

Something must be done:

Put simply, it is time. It is time to end breast cancer forever. Everyone DOES deserve a lifetime. Losing precious people to breast cancer must stop. I have lost people from my life, and I know many survivors. Guess what.......everyone does! One in Eight women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in her lifetime.

There is something I can do:

This is not the only thing its time for, however. Its time for ME to get a move on. Its time for me to have the courage to change the things I can. Its time for me to use my life energy for something positive. Its time for me to focus on something other than the reasons why I can't move forward in life in the ways that I dreamed as a child. Its time for me to grow up and "just do it."

I walk because I can. I can walk. Its such a small distance to go compared to the distance others have to go when fighting breast cancer.

I will do this:

I recently quit smoking. This walk, as well as several other "big ideas" burst into my mind very shortly thereafter. I feel as if the health limitation, time limitation, guilt, and just general malaise that I got from smoking was keeping certain ideas about what I could and couldn't do out of my mind. Those ideas must have been brewing in my subconscious, but it wasnt until I took the step to remove that barrier that they bubbled to the surface.

When I first started considering doing the Breast Cancer 3 Day, I had a lot of reservations come up. Unlike other times, however, every reservation was challenged in my mind almost instantly by a solution. As you can imagine this was quite an exchange going on! But not like other times when I've banished the "big idea" from my mind and turned the TV back on.

This time I know in my heart what is right to do, and I feel ignited to do it. This clarity in itself is a victory for me, the first of many small victories.

I will do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment